Historical Supplement to The McGuffey Reader by Dr. James G. Johnson
In 1936, Dr. James G. Johnson published an “Historical Supplement” as part of the The McGuffey Reader magazine published by McGuffey School that detailed historical information about Charlottesville City Schools. Several other prominent teachers and principals contributed to the volume, including Carrie Burnley, Sarepta Moran, and Florence Buford. This post links to some scans of the most relevant information in that book.
Among the topics are:
- History of McGuffey School 1915-1936
- History of Venable School 1922-1936
- History of George Rogers Clark School 1928-1936
- Yearly school staff lists
- A biography of Col. Charles S. Venable by William Thornton
The entire volume is in the collection of the UVA Library. The PDFs below contain some of the most relevant information.
Download as a single 400MB PDF here.
Download as individual smaller PDFs (30-60MB):
Download as a 420MB zip of JPEGs here